Thursday, December 10, 2009

Yes, it's pink

So, I've decided, once again, to start blogging. Hopefully I'll actually stick with it, and feel more confident about posting. My major hangups have been mostly the battle between sharing my thoughts with people (there's a fair amount of my thoughts that some would find offensive) and my feeling of unimportance when it appears that no one has actually read my posts. Confusing, I'm sure.

As for a basic overview of where I am and where I plan on going :

I'm currently taking "Tous les jours," at a local vocational-type school, but fret not, for it's an adult class for immigrants. My French has improved dramatically over the last few months ('bout time), and I'm feeling more and more confident talking to people in French. I've even swapped to partially and occasionally speaking French with Martin. I've already felt some changes in how I perceive the two languages, as I focus primarily on learning concepts rather than translations. It does make things more difficult sometimes, but words I don't know I look up in a French dictionary (not English-French), and word-hop until I get an understanding of what the word(s) mean. Martin and I have already talked about swapping our primary language to French once I've completed a Université Populaire (Module 4, to be precise) course in French. It'll be a rough change, but it's something I really want to progress to.

Career-wise, I'm looking at becoming an ESL teacher. I really am quite fascinated by language, and the more I learn about French, the more I question and re-analyze English. For instance, there are just as many tenses in English as there are in French; however, I hear a lot of complaints about how many complicated tenses there are in French. As I discussed with Mom, I'm pretty much of the opinion that English is taught very poorly in school, given all I've learned here. I mean, I didn't know how adverbs worked or were identified until last year. That's fairly indicative to me. Anyway, rambling now, I'm looking at taking a TEFL course online, but am still unsure how I will be proceeding next year. I'll be discussing with Mme Oriet about whether she feels I'm ready to move on to the Module 4 course at UP after the test next week (class ends next week), and depending on her answer, I will be focusing either mostly on continuing to learn French or focusing on my career. God, I have a career plan. How cool is that? Took me long enough!

In non-academic standings : I am still a computer nerd, still play video games, and I've since decided that of all the things I could be doing in life, being able to amuse myself on my computer, with or without other people involved, is not so bad. Amusingly, I've lost a lot of weight and my health issues have rapidly been decreasing over the years. I still have some shoulder problems (I'll never be a pitcher in baseball again... *snaps fingers* Drat), and the whole PCO is still affecting my cycle, but overall, I am getting healthier and I'm becoming more confident with who I am as a person.

My best friends (in no particular order) are Mistee, Colin, Pom (Andy), Jon, Alt (Eric), Arly (Kenny), and of course Martin. They've all been a backbone for me in both emotionally distressing times and supporting me as I tackle the endeavour (<- that may be the british spelling, the spell checker picked it up, but it also picks up "favorite," so meh) of actually getting my shit together. If you read, and if I continue to update, you'll hear a lot more about them as time goes on.

Couple notes, the title here is inspired by Martin who was inspired by Noam Chomsky. It actually is a completely grammatically correct statement, however it makes absolutely no sense. My interest in language has made it a particular favorite phrase of mine.

Second note, I am amused by the pink, but will probably whine, beg, and plead with Mistee to make me something more original and "me." All of the defaults sucked.

5 comments:

  1. Here's the example from my philosophy class:
    "The gostak distims the doshes"
    Q: What is the gostak?
    A: The gostak is that which distims the doshes.
    Q: What's distimming?
    A: Distimming is that which the gostak does to the doshes.
    Q: Okay, but what are doshes?
    A: The doshes are what the gostak distims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello niece across the ocean! Your Mom passed this on, and I'm thrilled to have your blog to read. Although it will dimish all my speculation and guesswork about your exotic European life.
    My family keeps up with us through mine. Check it out www.potsapalooza.blogspot.com It's way easier than trying to call/email everyone. Can you add some photos to yours?
    What is lilyrielle?
    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked out you complete profle. It's incomplete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee, okay, I like that one from your philosophy class, and Martin insists that I point out that the one for the title is not "inspired" it's "quoted", so.. My bad on that one.

    I'll make sure to add exotic stuff about Switzerland! We actually don't have pictures (haven't had a camera except for my comp's and there's a few people who can attest that it's blurry and not all that great) atm, but I shall make sure I actually have pictures at the very least after I wrestle them from Mom!

    Lilyreille is the combination of two names:
    Lily (which got extended to "lilyfren", as you can see) - which has been my online handle for a while now, I was even using it back when we played WC and stuff across the home LAN

    Myreille/Mireille - one of my favorite French names, which apparently is old fashioned and nobody below the age of 50 is named... but then I think my name is fairly old fashioned, too. xP

    I shall.. Attempt... To fix my profile.. Once I figure out how.

    ReplyDelete